Sunday, February 6, 2011

Does a new job equal a new tie?

It's the end of the first week in my new job. I have now changed the school that I work at and I'm enjoying the challenges that a new job provides. However, it has been a good start to the school year.

Of course, as a grabatologist, my first challenge for the week was to choose a tie for the first day of the year. Do I choose a new tie or should I go with one which is tried and tested? During the school holidays I had enjoyed the opportunity to purchase a couple of new ties for the new school year and I was seriously considering wearing them. Yet in the end I felt it was good to go with one which was well worn and comfortable. That allowed me the chance to wear a new shirt with a medium width point collar and a classic Full-Windsor Knot.

Once I had made all my choices I was able to present  myself for the first day of the school year looking smart and presentable (even if I do say so myself!). The first day of the year was, as it so often is, an absolute stinker over 40 degrees Celsius. On a day like this it is announced at school that it is a 'Ties off day'. The only time the students were expected to put them on was for the class photo and at the end of the day. With each day of the week panning out as being well over 30 degrees it was constantly 'ties off' so I made the choice to continue with wearing older ties which I knew could be worn on really hot days. I felt it would be terrible to choose a tie which was brand new and then see it almost melt away on such a hot day. Even though the days were 'ties off' I was more than willing to keep my tie on throughout as it is exciting to put one on after so long away from the work place.

It made for quite an interesting first week at my new school. Lots of heat equals tie or no tie. What does it mean for next week? A new tie perhaps? Well we'll just have to wait and see how the weather looks to see what tie will be coming next week!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of interest, what colour shirts do you wear? I have a big collection of ties, the white shirt is a nice blank canvas for any tie. I much prefer to wear blue shirts though, limiting tie choice. I find white shirts get grubby too easily around the collar and end up picking up colours in the wash...

    ReplyDelete